Thursday, January 21, 2010

Things Found in the Street – found weapons and weapon-related items edition

I found this blue box recently. I originally thought that it was a case for a power tool. Then I recognized the embossed Smith & Wesson logo. It was pretty light, so I knew it didn’t have its deadly cargo within. When I got home, I opened it and discovered the contents. Inside were the paper items that probably came with a newly purchased gun – pamphlets, a sticker, etc. Also included was a form that transfers ownership from the shop to the buyer. There was some personal information on it with which the person who threw this out should have been more careful. Underneath the foam liner of the case was some kind of extra handle and a gun lock with key. I could probably use that lock for something. As for the case, I’m not sure what I’ll do with it now, but it might be useful in the future.

This lock-blade Buck knife was another street find. It appears to be in good condition. It probably bounced out of a pickup truck bed or perhaps someone left it on their vehicle and then drove away. I keep it with my bike tools.




The third weapons-related find was kind of creepy. It’s a toy handgun, but I didn’t know it was a fake when I first saw it. I was walking along and I saw it under a bush. The size, shape and color are very realistic. When I looked closely, I saw the faint orange paint on the end. I picked it up and felt that it was not much lighter than a gun would be and it was made of metal. Because it was so real-looking, I took it home. I wouldn’t want some kid to find it and meet a tragic end because of this plaything.

I believe that there is some kind of regulation now regarding the appearance of toy guns. I think that they are not supposed to be black in color. This was probably an older toy with only the orange on the end. As with this one, I’m sure the orange wears away over time. It could also be easily covered over with paint or a magic marker by the child that desires a more realistic-looking prop.

I’m not sure why parents would let their kids play with toy guns in the first place. It’s a complicated issue (with long roots in American cultural memory) but it’s disconcerting to me to see kids playing with things that are designed to kill.

These three items were all found on the same street, within three blocks of each other.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen any of the manhole covers in Hartford that were made out of melted-down guns? I know there was one on Cone Street between Whitney and Tremont when I lived near there A friend of mine has a framed rubbing of one over his mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, interesting. A sort of swords-into-plowshares kind of thing, almost.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings. Thanks for commenting. Your comment will be published pending the blogger's approval.