Sunday, August 22, 2010

Vacaciones, la Segunda

We just got back from another week at our seashore vacation spot. We did a fair amount of riding again and we had a great time.

I wrote before about how people ride there with no concept of any rules of the road. This time, I almost had an accident with another cyclist. I was riding on the right side of the road down a street that is signed as a bike route. I came to a red light, slowed down and signaled that I was turning right. I looked ahead of me and to the left and proceeded to turn right. Well, a guy on a road bike had snuck up on my right side and was trying to pass me on the right and go through a red light. I didn't hit him, but it was close.

We took a day trip to another nearby seaside town to visit friends. I saw lots of people on bikes. This town also put up loads of small signs on the road to remind cyclists to ride on the road, ride on the right, stop at red lights and stop signs and to use lights at night. We didn't spend enough time in that town to see whether the signs had a generally positive effect on riders' behaviors, but it couldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings. Thanks for commenting. Your comment will be published pending the blogger's approval.