Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Meandering is good

“Ride only when you feel like it.”
-Grant Petersen, “Tips For Happy Riding” (Rivbike.com)

“Ride on your own terms. Don’t think, “It’s a sunny Saturday, I have a fantastic bicycle, I
must ride forty miles.” You’ll have more fun (and you will ride more often!) if you ride
only when you feel like it. Your bike isn’t the boss of you!”

-Grant Petersen, 2010 Rivendell Catalog (Rivbike.com)


Last Sunday was sunny and in the 30s (Fahrenheit) in my area. It was warmer than the day before, with slightly less wind. I had some free time in the afternoon, so I felt like I should get out for a ride. The thing is I didn’t really feel like putting on several layers of wool and such. So, I threw a fleece over my regular clothes and hopped on the winter beater.

There are times when I have a clear goal or destination for a ride. I either follow an established route or I plot a new one on Mapmyride.com.

I didn’t feel like riding like that. I had no real plan. I simply wandered north, taking a different street than I usually do. I meandered down to a short stretch of bike path that wanders along a river. I scooted over to a park and rode on the grass (frozen, covered with a crust of old snow). I rode along another part of the river, then down a wide road with a good shoulder. Back on to another section of the bike path, I went back and forth under the tunnel, enjoying the feel of the bike along the pavement and laughing as I jumped snow banks like a kid.

I had only intended to go out for a short one. I came home an hour later. Short by summer standards, but this is February.

I had a great time.

I have no idea how many miles I covered; the winter beater doesn’t have a computer. With all the off-road exploring I can’t go back and put a route into mapmyride to determine the mileage. I don’t really care.

I found two pennies. Meandering is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings. Thanks for commenting. Your comment will be published pending the blogger's approval.